Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Bizarre: On Bugis Street



It had been a while since I visited Bugis Streetso I rang up a friend to see if she was interested, she was, and off we went.


Kai Tais of Bugis early 60's


The area of Singapore, known as Bugis, has a rich and colourful history. It has long been associated with trading and frequented by sailorsat one time, even pirates! But it was during the 1950's through the early 80's, that Bugis Street became internationally notorious for it's nightly congregation of outrageous & lovely Transwomen. Once word got out, the area fast became a place for sojourning sailors and tourists, who came to partake; gawk, or perhaps even looking for love.


A poster from the Movie


This brief, flamboyant time in Singapore's history came to end in the mid 80's, when the entire area underwent an urban re-development and the subsequent construction of the Bugis Metro Station. Despite a recent attempt by the Singaporean Tourism Board to recapture it's seedy glamour, the entire area still feels a bit faded. But perhaps owing to it's colourful past, locals still come for the cheap goods, and tourists still flock; trying to envision a time when their fathers or grandfathers came to separate the men from the women, who were really men.


How I wish I could've seen it back in the day. For more information, start here



Here are a few photo's of my sanitized Bugis experience.



When reconstituted just wont do.


Well, if he likes 'em... I'm definitely buying some!


I bought one purely based on Trade Mark. I mean, who wouldn't?


Of course I wasn't touching it; I just hovered. The Auntie would've kicked my ass!


Neighhh! PPbrr!


Apparently they do lashes as well (for your eyes, not with a riding crop)


*Click*


Salesman: "Hey! No Pictures, No Pictures!"

Tess: "Is that something Jesus would say?!?"

Salesman: "I don't care! *makes shoo-ing motion* NO PICTURES!"


Tess: "Wow, what BIG eyes you have!"

Dolls: "All the better to watch you with my dear"

Tess: "Waaahhhhh... Make them stop!!"


Inner monologue:

"I really like this shirt"

"Should I buy it?"

"Do I need it?"

"Would I wear it?"

"Nah"

(walks away and wakes of the next morning full of regret)



Adjacent to Bugis Village, stands Fu Lu Shou Complex.


Where you can:

Say a quick prayer

Stock up on your Buddhist or Daoist paraphernalia

Have your aura photographed (which of course, I did)

Buy a large amethyst geode, a lucky amulet, or a camera!


It's one-stop shopping!


That's not a monk! That's Winston Churchill!


Taking the inconvenience out of death.



I could add more, but I'm going to take pity on you, (and me, because this is taking waaaay too long) and wrap it up by saying....


Come see me! You know you want too!


I always have beer and salty snacks.

I'll take you to the nicest places.

You will laugh.

I do my hair very nice.


um.... I can't think of anything else, just hurry!


That's it for now.


Love,

Tess


3 comments:

Kat said...

This post made me look up flight prices to Singapore....

Tess said...

yes please!

Unknown said...

That t-shirt would have been a smashing addition to your already fabulous wardrobe! Next time, go with you gut, my darling :)