Monday, May 31, 2010

About balloons, art, memories, double takes, and coincidences

Dear Rob,


Wow!


By: Clare Pattinson


When I saw this drawing your mother donated to PACT, I think I might've *gasped*. Yes, I love the vibrant colours and the exaggerated features of her drawing⧿but that's not what caused my reaction.


THIS is what caused my reaction:




Holy shizbats!! Talk about freakish coincidences!!


This is a cutaway of a piece painted by a incredibly gifted artist who lived around the corner from me when I was younger. I was in awe of her talent, and being so kind, she would invite me in to look at her work. It was a feast for the eyes. Each painting was so incredibly beautiful I could cry. I wanted one so badly, but since I had just started my first job there was truly no way I could afford the purchase. I think she took pity on me, because when she relocated, she offered to sell me the piece, (at a ridiculously low amount) and, to accept monthly payments until it was paid for.


This painting and I have a long history together: It was held hostage, has a standing offer for a silly amount of money should I ever agree to part with it, contributed to a break-up, traveled with me to various continents, and has inspired countless passionate conversations. It is my favourite possession.


What does this have to do with anything?


Well, aside from causing me to do a double take, and a trip down memory lane... Nothing. I just thought it was worth a post, because I love freakish coincidences... What would life be without them.




Love,

Tess


No comments: