Friday, October 9, 2009

S'pore: The Little Booger I Pick to Call Home

Singapore: It's under the red dot... I'm not kidding

Chances are, if you weren't living in Southeast Asia in 2004, you probably missed the gaff from Taiwanese then Foreign Minister, Chen Tan-sun, referring to Singapore as a booger. As someone who was living on the island during this time, I can attest to how deeply offended it's citizens were. In the eyes of Singaporeans, the country had lost "face", and losing "face" is something carefully avoided in an Asian society.


While it's true that Singapore is the smallest nation in Southeast Asia, [extending 41.8 km (26 mi) in length and 22.5 km (14 mi) in width], it has come a long way since seceding from Malaysia on August 9th, 1965–when many of its population were still living in kampongs [villages], to being the slick, regional financial power house and world port it is recognized as today. This is quite an accomplishment in 44 years.


I wasn't born in Singapore, but it's home for now–so please excuse me over the next few weeks, while I share a few things I like best about my adopted island. I can't promise I won't go off on a tangent and talk about what really pisses me off about the country, but after living here for almost six years, I'm allowed.


That's it for now.


Love,

Tess





3 comments:

Kat said...

Ohhh, I'm excited for these posts. I had NO idea Singapore was so teeny. Learn something new every day!

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing more Singapore...don't know a lot about it.

Tess said...

Excellent! I can't wait to share. Stay tuned :)