Tuesday, March 8, 2011

No Vanity Here

Dear Rob,


Over the past year, I've been finding it difficult to write about you. It's not that I've stopped caring it's just been so loud, that I didn't know what to say without contributing to the noise. Besides, I'd much rather listen to the words that come out of your mouth, instead of the ones people put in it.



Speaking of which... your latest interview in Vanity Fair. It had been so long, I absorbed it rather greedily. As I came to the end, I was left with so many feelings. I'm excited for all the opportunities the past few years have afforded you, but I'm wistful about the restrictions. I sensed the weariness, but I also see the evolution of you, and this makes me smile.



"My theory is we don't really go that far into other people, even when we think we do. We hardly ever go in and bring them out. We just stand at the jaws of the cave, and strike a match, and quickly ask if anybody's there" (Money by Martin Amis)



I don't know you, but I like who I think you are. You have my utmost admiration for navigating through this as well as you have.



With Love,

Tess

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Yeah... exactly...I could not have said it better.. and I've been drafting for a week now... thanks for saying what so many of us think :)

XOXO

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Kelly, once again... You have a way of putting things so beautifully, so eloquently, my dearest Tess.

I would hope that amongst all the 'noise' that Rob must read/hear on a daily basis, that something as heartfelt and lovely as you have written would have a chance to reach his eyes/ears, as well.

xoxo

Tess said...

Shaxie and Kelly.. Your words have made me rather misty eyed.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Rose said...

Tess. That was lovely.
I often find myself wondering if putting my thoughts out there contributes to the 'noise'...
I suppose it does.
Not sure what to think about that except I hope it's not too loud.

I miss you Tess.
I remember when.

<3

Suz said...

Tess... Eloquent and succinct as always.

The "noise" is deafening, but I am sure like us, Robert has found a way to turn down the volume.

Thank you, for always making, "Good Noise"

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Tell me the truth what are you living for

Tell me why, why are you near?

'Cause if you cannot make yourself a good noise

Tell me what you're doing here

Now we all got the hand for the gimme

We all got the mouth for the much obliged

But when it comes down to giving back

We give the eye to the other guy

Oh it seems that so much trouble

Is simply caused by the angry word

Although silence can be a virtue

I say it's a good noise that's preferred

Now you've got every right and reason

To be down in the dumps today

Aren't you just adding to the problem

If you've got nothing good to say

Sure there are wars, disease, injustice

Rich men walking on your hands

But tell me how can you ever take a breath of hope

Talking down your fellow man

Tell me the truth what are you living for

Tell me why, why are you near
'Cause if you cannot make yourself a good noise

(John Gorka, "Good Noise")

Tess said...

Suz ~ What a perfect set of words.. ♥ this.